1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beloved Miss Kitty just passed away…

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by One Chick Two, Aug 16, 2013.

1. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

Our beloved Miss Kitty had became ill these past few weeks and died this past Weds. afternoon. She was 19. She had lived a long, lovely, exceptionally healthy life since I took her home as a palm-sized black stray from a young girl selling Mistletoe in front of a Pharmacy, Christmas 1994. She had curled up in my hand and purred loudly. I miss her profoundly. My eyes are tearing up now again, just thinking of her palling around with our chickens in the run, or patiently waiting for me to finish my nightly walks so she could head bump me, or dance on our bellies in the middle of the night.

She was an indoor/ outdoor cat, and I am eternally grateful that she had waited for us inside to be at home with her. My DH discovered her lying in the hallway rug and brought her to me. I held her during her (thankfully) peaceful and natural end, while she gazed into my eyes- almost as if she realized it would be the last time we would see each other. Yesterday, I had given her a 'dreaded' bath, and she laid in my arms in a towel for hours afterward, contentedly purring while I slowly rubbed her dry- looking back, I think she knew that her time was short. Afterward she went to be with the chickens while I took her photo with them, looking clumped from her bath. I am so glad I will always have that bittersweet memory, but, darn, I don't like grieving.

Thank you, my loyal and loving friend. I am truly grateful for all the years that you shared with us. Not all family members are human. She will always stay with me. Be at peace our precious dear heart. You were my special girl. Isn't it amazing that those little devils in an angel's body take up so much of our hearts? [​IMG]
    In a Sunbeam[​IMG] Here was our crocheting cat, smelling and picking up the crochet needle to make sure it was crocheted correctly.[​IMG]

She even liked the roos, and watched "chicken theater" constantly. Strangely, the chickens were never afraid and hung around her too.[​IMG] This was one of the last photos taken of her. Thank you for listening.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Those furry purry things sure can wrap themselves around our hearts, can't they?[​IMG]

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like Miss Kitty had a wonderful life with you! (Great pics, too!)[​IMG]

3. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    So sorry for your loss!

[​IMG]

4. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Aaawwww, what lovely heartfelt words, bought a tear to my eye, most of us can totally relate to how you feel, no one likes grieving but it is essential to enable you to start recovering and allow you to talk about her and look at her pictures and feel happy that you shared her life, what a lucky girl she was that you took her home that day, sometimes things are just meant to be and you were meant to share your lives together...... Thinking of you [​IMG]

5. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    It sounds like she left you with some beautiful memories. Peace & blessings to you.[​IMG]

6. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Thank you so much, Bunnylady, ChickensXOXO, Fly 2006 and workinnanie, for your very kind words and condolences. Your hugs in thought helped alot. It will be a week tomorrow since she passed, and I miss her so incredibly much. She left a hole in my heart, but gave so much more than she took when she left. I haven't dreamt of her (am surprised about that) however, a few days ago, I accidentally rediscovered a photo I haven't seen in 15 years. In the photo, Miss Kitty's a velvety 3 month old kitten playing with her red rubber ball (which was forever lost around that time). What is notable, is that this photo is actually of her and I playing together, interactively, and I know that in that moment, she was very, very[​IMG]

happy. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by