BelovedTom found dead last Friday

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by grinningranny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. grinningranny

grinningranny Out Of The Brooder

I am new to turkeys and all other country things. Anyway, we have four 5 month old hens and had 1 tom the same age, they're Narragansetts. The Tom has had kaki colored diarrhea off and on for several weeks, other than that he showed no other signs of illness...no ruffled feathers, maybe slightly low energy, no discoloration on his head or neck, he strutted and gobbled etc. They have a 1/2 acre fenced area with big rocks and trees that they share with 3 goats and 14 chickens that are very healthy. When I went in to feed them the morning of 10/11 he was laying on the ground dead under the roost. We cut him open to see if there was anything we could discern...His small and large intestines had thick sort of bloody pink/tan yucky stool, and his gizzard was hard and I would say impacted, and dryer than I would think a gizzard should be, but I don't know what a gizzard is supposed to look like. There were no lesions on his liver.

This was really upsetting for us because he was a friendly, comical, adored pet, and now he is gone...does anyone have any insight into what might have gone wrong? Some of the hens are showing intermittent diarrhea, now too. We can't stand the thought of losing any more

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Sounds like maybe necrotic enteritis and/or e. Coli. You didn't mention the liver or the cecal pouches, so I would say *not* blackhead. If you can, take one of the hens to a vet and have them take a peek at the poop under a scope and possibly send it off for cultures and sensitivities.

Not sure what the best antibiotic would be for this, but the vet will know. If I had to guess I would guess Clavamox or Baytril, but that is just a guess.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. grinningranny

Thank you for your insight, Casportpony, I did mention that the liver had no lesions...( it appeared very normal.) We live close to a small town that has a vet that I could take a specimen to. I will do that today. Thanks again.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

My bad, you did mention the liver. Did you get a chance to take a sample to the vet?

-Kathy

5. grinningranny

I did get to take a specimen in to a vet. It would have been cost prohibitive to have a full culture and sensitivity sent out, so she just examined it under a microscope.
    She found 1 parasite egg and gave me a sulfa based broad spectrum antibiotic in liquid form, which will hopefully catch most bacterial buggers.
    I am having difficulty getting it down them. I have to give 12.5 cc's of the stuff twice daily per bird. The 1st time I nearly drowned our queen hen, but since then my dh looked up how to administer liquid meds to birds, using, of course members of the parrot family to demo, so, hopefully, I will use a more informed technique next time...poor girl.
    Thank you so much for your help and interest.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm guessing she gave you Albon? Just curious,... Anyway, if you are still having trouble giving that volume of meds you might want to consider tubing it, or, use 3ml syringes and squirt it down that way. FWI, I found these skinny 3ml oral syringes that are perfect for this sort of thing.

-Kathy

7. grinningranny

Uhhh, how do you tube it? We gave it tonight, and it took 15 minutes per turkey which came out to an hour...I was FREEZING by the time it was done. I think she called it SMZ or something like that. There is a high volume because it must be flavored. (I had to taste it.)[​IMG]

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    On the iPad now, but when I get on the real computer I'll post some info. FWIW, it takes me less than three minutes to tube 120ml to a bird and that includes set- up, much less time if I'm tubing wormer.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by