1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

benadryl for itchy hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kinnip, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Does anyone know what the recommended dosage is? I'm planning on using the children's liquid. It'll have to be an ongoing thing, I think. It doesn't seem to matter what bedding I use, she scratches herself bald and bloody. I'm not worried about the eggs. Her eggs have always been really awful.

2. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    Hey, Have you checked to see if there is a mite problem or flea or lice problem. Because if she is scratching herself pretty hard enough to cause her to bleed, it could be very well a pest problem.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Yes, and no there aren't any mites. I've brought her inside on two different occasions, both times it cleared up within a couple of hours. If she were a little calmer, she could just live inside. She's never been a particularly healthy girl, but she's my favourite.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

.25cc that is what the vet told us to use when I had problem with my 6# Min Pin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by