benefeits of egg turner?Any feedback?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by can you hear me now?, Jun 29, 2008.

1. [​IMG]I am going to try my hand at incubating eggs for the first time soon. I will have to use my own methods and have been reading for quite awhile about how to incubate eggs correctly. Later down the road i wand to but an incubator that i found at the feed store but i want to know if buying the egg turner is going to be worth the 42 dollars they want for it or if I may just want to keep with the method i plan to use since i plan to candle my eggs from time to time to see what the progression is. Any feedback would be much appreciated. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    bying egg turners increases hatch rate and is benificial because it takes the burden off u and is more efficient. $42 is not that much

3. Now does it increas it because of less opening?Or is it because of the possibility of being too rough for the embryo?Or just a mixture of all of that?

4. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I would say a combination of both. [​IMG] Especially in the first week, the embryo is really fragile. And I'm sure you know, the less you open your 'bator, the more stable the temps stay. I sure found that out. *lol*

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The less you handle the eggs the better off they are. Seriously, after a few hatches the novelty of hand turning wears off rather quick. You really have to be diligent and commit yourself to the task at least 3 times a day for those first 18 days. No forgetting, no I can't be home to do it, no I'll skip it today and get back to it tomorrow, etc.

Buy the turner. Make peace for yourself. Just look in the bator once a day to see if it needs water and walk away. [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have great hatch rates doing both...hand turning sometimes 100% with my own chickens and eggs shipped in...Same with the turner.....You have to be commited to hand turning 3 or 5 times a day which I have no problem with...I enjoy hand turning the best..

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:That's why I think you are the bee's kness, TOH! You enjoy the TLC eggs need. [​IMG]

8. Lee

Lee Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Yes, indeed, the egg turner is worth the price!

9. Struttn1

Struttn1 Songster

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    The turner is the best invention since the incubator.

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    When I only had a dozen eggs in the incubator- it was no big deal to turn them three times a day...when that number went to 42 in the incubator, it became a chore.

My turner is wonderful- all the fun of incubating, without the work of marking x's and o's and turning carefully-just to have them roll erratically while you are turning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by