Beneficial Plants for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SecretHavenFarm, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    My chickens dont get time to free range, to dangerous. With the fires last year, we had a pair of huge eagles set up residence in our town. So I was thinking about planting some plants in pots and putting them in my run for guys to rip apart.

I was wondering if there were any plants that would especially healthy for them to munch on, or what would be the easiest plant to grow for them?

2. SallyF

SallyF Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    You might try using big plant saucers, putting an inch or so of dirt in them, and planting grass seed. When it sprouts, put it in the coop or run. When the chickens are done with it, just plant more. I use the seed sold for cat grass, you can find it in pet departments, and that way you don't have to buy a huge bag of grass seed. As far as plants, mine loved anything in the cabbage family. They took out three rows of kale sprouts in my garden last year!

3. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    I had a bunch of turnips and bok choy that bolted when the weather got too hot, I like to pull a bunch up and give them to the girls in the middle of the day when it's hot and they're hiding in the coop - they go crazy over the fresh greens, especially the turnips.

4. I grew beets over the Winter and when our temps became hot, they bolted. My chickens [​IMG] to have the greens from these. The mini-rex bunny loves the beet...funny watching her gnawing around the middle of the beet. [​IMG]

5. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    lettuce mixes work verry well in long palnters or plant saucers my girls go nuts over lettuce

6. swordgeek

swordgeek Chirping

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    I'm just overrun with lemon balm this year. One tiny plant a few years ago turned into more plants, which turned into an invasion all over the yard, and I'm getting tired of giving them away to friends. This afternoon, I tossed a bunch of plants I yanked up out into the run to see if they take a liking to it. Why not - they eat everything ELSE I have planted around here!!! If they munch on any of the lemon balm, I am sooooo transplanting a dozen or so into that run! If nothing else, the birds smell really nice after they've been pecking around the herb garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by