1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

benefits of fresh eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by what was i thinking, Nov 9, 2008.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i am going to put up a flyer at work for my eggs. i was wondering if someone can tell me or point me in the right directrion to a list of the pros of egging our eggs over the stores?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Fresher is better. [​IMG]

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Happy girls = yummy eggs!

4. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Taste better than store bought I have had issuses with eggs over the yrs and would eat fresh eggs over store bought any day.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
  6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Most excellent to hand out to your customers & anyone else in doubt of "free range" chickens!

Thanks for the link! [​IMG]

7. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    freshness! will store longer than store bought. they are already old when you buy them. great link chickentoes!

8. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    Pros:

1) They taste better
    2) Less fuel burned to get them to the consumer
    3) Typically, they are healthier to eat - more omega-3, lower cholesterol
    4) Satisfaction of supporting the local producer
    5) Chant with me - "free range, free range, free range!"

Cons:

1) because they are fresher, it takes longer for them to "age" to make good hard boiled eggs. Oh, the horror!

We sell our eggs to the neighbors. One of the selling points we advertise is free delivery!...then I make the kids deliver them in a wagon. We sell about 6 to 10 dozen/week for about $3 per doz.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  9. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    yes thanks for the link. i knew i have seen something in print somewhere. i was trying the "because they are fresh from yesterday" and it wasn't cutting it. i have one friend that says she can't eat my eggs because 'it is too personal for her." i didn't know what she meant. than she said "i met the chickens", i thought that was pretty funny. i work with 140 people and see almost everyone personally, everyday. i should be able to sell a couple dozen eggs, i would hope.

10. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    thats odd! everyone that has met my girls WANTS to be on a list to get eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by