Benefits of having a male bird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oosik, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Oosik

Oosik Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    When I ordered chicks before, I always got just pullets. In my last order, I had to get straight run and ended up with a few male birds. I parted ways with a couple of the males, but did keep one in the coop. Since then, my stories of my birds have become much more interesting. Just the other day I noted:

I have the biggest male bird I have ever seen.

My male bird is bigger than anyone else's male bird.

My male bird can do amazing things.

My male bird can even fly.

My male bird is up at dawn and always raring to go.

2. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    'I eat fertile eggs' usually grosses out the city folk if your into that kind of thing.

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Hahaha, that's what he said.

ANYWAY Roos protect the hens, which is a big benefit where I live. Also, will go bat**** on a predator, giving hens a chance to escape. Go roos!

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Hey, wait a second... what are you bragging about? [​IMG]

For me the biggest benefit is protection for my ladies. My rooster is such a sweetheart, too. I love how he disapproves of the girls when they get too adventurous! I have even come to love his crow, even at 5 am.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    As big a pain in the tushie as roos are, I must say that they are the most entertaining of the lot. They are just so full of themselves. My banty amuses me endlessly (except when he's flogging me. Brat. [​IMG] )

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I, for one, love the crowing in the morning. Heck, I like the crowing any old time they care to do it.

7. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    We have our first roos right now. There are 3 BO males and they are 5 weeks old. No crowing yet. I think I've picked out the three that are the males. Hopefully I'm right. One of them is the sweetest chicken I have ever seen. I've always heard stories about nice chickens that like to be held and doted on, but never experienced that myself. This guy is just too cute. He's gotten some special attention since he had to be isolated after all his tail feathers were picked out. He's all healed up and his tail feathers are growing in. I'll have to put a band on his leg so I don't get him confused with the other boys when his tail is filled out.

8. Oosik

Oosik Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Of course, ya'll know that I was thinking of another word when i used the term "male bird" - right?

9. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    I love how he calls the hen over when he finds something good to eat. It almost sounds like he saying LOOK LOOK LOOK! She hauls butt to see what he's got.

10. OurLittleChickenFarm

OurLittleChickenFarm Miracles Happen

Aug 18, 2009
    Aberdeen
    I can't imagine our flock without Boss. The girls love him. They stick right by his side wherever he goes except when they lay their eggs. He protects them, find treats for them, and keeps everyone in line. If there isn't a good treat around he will pick up a pebble and try to convince them that it is delishious. They run over and look at the pebble and quietly walk away. Maybe his eyesight isn't so good. He entertains us all the time with his funny business. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by