Benefits to painting?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickPeas, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    Does anyone know if there are any benefits as far as pest control by painting the inside of the coop?

I've seen a a couple of articles about painting with a lyme white wash, a DE wash, ACV, and regular paint to help with mites, flies or any other nasty little creature that might make it's home in the wood.

ANy commetns? Experience?
    Liz in Iron Station, NC

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I'm not sure about the white washing, though I've heard it works well, I've never done it. The inside of my coop doesn't have regular paint but I did paint my nesting boxes with a nontoxic water based semi-gloss paint. I painted after caulking all the seams. It makes it a breeze to clean and disinfect. I also feel that I can get them germ free, because nothing can "soak" into the wood. Hope this helped a little bit. Someone else with more infor will come along.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We used white latex to brighten the coop, enhance natural wavelengths and to spot pests, which are more easily seen against white...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by