Bengals anyone??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ukchickengirl, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - we have a ten month old bengal kitten who is as mad as a hatter but absolutley gorgeous! anyone else got bengals and if so what are they like with chicks?!

H x

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    All I know about Bengals are the are a fairly new breed of cat. I hear they are extremly good hunters and be kinda aggressive. I heard they have wild cat blood in them.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I haven't even heard of them, but I'm going to go look them up now.

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    All I know about them is that they looks AWESOME. [​IMG] Have any pics?

5. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I have a bengal and am good friends with a breeder. I have also done quite a bit of research. Yes bengals do have wild blood in them. They were originally created using a domestic cat and crossing it with and asian leapord cat. Most cats now are far from that cross but still act different than normal domestic cats. I keep telling people if they can't handle a siamese don't even think about a bengal. They are very very predatorial. I would NOT let them around anything that they consider prey. ( however there are always the exception to the rule ) I have had my bengal for a year and for the protection of my cockatiels I rehomed them because she would go after them when I was not able to correct her. (She was gotten to correct a problem with another pet)

There are also multiple other domestic/wild cat crosses out there. One of the more popular is a Savanah cat. It is a cross between a bengal and an african serval.

Bengals are very playful and love high places. The higher the better, however not always good for them. Saturday we had a 1/2 bengal in that had dislocated her hip because she climbed the blinds and knocked them down on her.

6. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Here is a picture of my little girl. If you get her in the right light you can see gold glitter. Her papered name is Friskey Wiskers Kiana. Kiana means moon godess in Hawian according to the name section I got it from.

[​IMG]

7. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

she is gorgeous! batfink is a 90% silver bengal (silver is the wayward gene and not classed as a true colour) he looks very much like a silver tabby which is what we tell people he is as there has been theft for the coats around here [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  8. yearofthedog

yearofthedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    I hear Bengals can be aggressive as well...they sure are beautiful though!!!

9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Here is mine. we lost Anakin our Seal Lynx point.

[​IMG]

Anakin I miss you buddy

and here is Lewey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have 2, 5 year old Bengal mixes, they're wonderful cats. They are very....different than most cats though. They make chirping and "barking" sounds instead of typical meows. Mine climb like monkeys! When they were kittens they'd literally run right up the walls. We've not seen hide nor hair of a mouse since we got them, or mole....I had to take down my bird feeder :/ They can NOT be trusted with chicks, obviously. But, they leave my adults and hens with chicks alone.
    We taught Mojo and Pudge to play fetch and they very much prefer the company of our dogs than any cat they've met. I love my guys, I'll have to take some pics of them :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by