Bent neck, Polish chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by whytedragon, May 14, 2010.

1. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I had a Polish chick I had to help out of the egg last night with a bent neck. He's viewing the world from upside down. He's very alert, but I'm not sure how he'll eat. He also has curled toes on one foot.
    I know the curled toes can be corrected, but what about the bent neck? I tried, and I CAN bend it into place, but I'm not sure how long he has until his bones harden more and he's permanently like that. Right now it's pretty flexible, though I cannot get it completely erect.
    Should I brace it with something?

2. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don't know much about the neck issue, it's called "wry neck", if you do a search using those terms you should find quite a lot about it.

3. whytedragon

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I'm not sure if it classifies as wry neck, since it's bent all the way down to the body. Not crooked, but bent. I guess it could be a more severe case. I also read that most with wry neck develope it later in life, this one was born with it. Not saying it couldn't be..but I think it's a deformation..or yes, wry neck.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I've read on here that sometimes the ones who can't get out of the shell on their own, aren't going to survive well. Kinda like, if they're not fit enough to get out of the shell on their own power for whatever reason, they they won't be strong enough to thrive. You may have a "special needs" chick on your hands now [​IMG]

5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I have had two polish chickens with wry neck. One is doing great now. I was giving her poli-vi-sol ( without iron) once a day a couple drops right in her mouth. The other got so bad we finally put her down.
    I'd try the Poli- Vi-Sol it might work you don't know till you try.

6. whytedragon

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I'll run to the store tomorrow and pick some of that up. Hopefully it works well. If not, atleast I got 4 beautiful Silver Laced Polish who are completely normal [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by