Bent toes becoming worse in 5-mo old hen--need input!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicksOnBikes, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ChicksOnBikes

ChicksOnBikes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    one of my chickens, Rachel, has really bent toes, particularly on one foot. She is a Sussex, about 5mo old.
    I did not notice this when we first got her via mail at 1-day old, it became apparent when she was a month or so old. It did not seem to be a problem.
    The middle toe extends to the first joint straight then bends off to an angle, one other toe kind of does not lay right. I never attempted any treatment because it did not appear to hinder her in any way or appear as a severe malformation.
    In the past few days, I have noticed that her one foot appears worse (more bent) and she is having more difficulty walking around. She appears otherwise normal, eating and drinking fine, pooping fine, and not being picked on. But now when she walks, her one (bent) foot tends to step on the other and she seems to prefer not walking a lot. Today I noticed she was more sitting or crouching when pecking about for scratch grain and treats, whereas the other chickens all stand. I can't be sure how long this has been going on, because there are 12 of them, and I don't spend a lot of time watching, just glance around for problems. I suppose it's possible she suffered some type of injury to this malformed foot, possibly jumping off a roost or who knows. I was going to adopt the wait-and-see approach, but was looking for input or suggestions!

We have 11 hens and one rooster (not intentionally!) and they have a secure indoor coop with fenced outdoor area when the weather is good (it's all snow now). It would be possible for her to remain in the coop forever, so that is the good news.

Thanks!!

2. fosterchickens

fosterchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    putnam co
    I'm not to hopeful that this will help, but have you looked at how long her nails are? We have one chicken with one toe thats bent a bit funny and I have to cut that nail for her

3. ChicksOnBikes

ChicksOnBikes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    the nails are definitely OK. I talked to some people around here who suggested that her increased weight as she grows makes her condition worse. Or, that whatever deformity she has made her more prone to injury. I found an interesting thread on another forum about bent and broken toes:
    http://poultrycommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2465.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by