Bereaved Serama Chicken Needs Companion

Minichick123

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2018
Hello! I am new to posting, though I've used this page for advice for a couple of years now.
Here's my situation:
Before I was divorced, I lived in the country. I had a mixed breed flock of 21 laying hens, 1 roo, 2 Serama hens, and 5 ducks. In the winter, my Seramas came indoors because one suffered severe frostbite. She survived, but lost her toes.
One terrible March night, a weasel managed to break in to the coop. It killed every single bird. I was completely and utterly devastated as they were all free range on two acres with a pond without incident for a year.
So i had only my indoor minis, who were broody at the time. I had some eggs from the main flock which i couldn't eat due to grief. I gave them to the two mini mommies, who successfully hatched hatched four chicks which they devotedly raised. I rehomed the chicks at a few month old.
Here's the real dilemma: one of my two seramas, Celeste, passed away on Wednesday and my remaining girl, Selena, is living in my bathroom and over eating and over grooming. She's pulled a patch on her chest. I had treated her friend to the best of my ability for two days, with Selena's encouragement and she seemed to be doing better, but it was not to be. She passed away in my arms while Selena witnessed everything.
Selena is extremely gentle and friendly with me, and seeks my company and affection (hand feeding and cuddling) but there are hours when I'm not here and she's alone. I need to find her some compainions, thinking of getting two Silkie pullets.
Advice?

I should add that I live in a town, and also that i have a nice yard and vegetable garden with a 4x4 foot raised, heated coop with a 4x15 foot run but the hens free range when I'm out with them
20171020_075121.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs It is very hard to lose them no matter how they went.

You can check out our Buy Sell and Trade section here on BYC in hopes of finding companions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/#buy-sell-trade.67

For now, spend lots of time with her. A ticking clock 24/7 in the coop or wherever you are keeping her, a quiet radio on during the day, both of these I have found sooth lone birds.

Good luck and I hope you can find some nice friends for her! :hugs

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear of your losses. That's heartbreaking. (I haven't lost any yet, but I'm sure I'd lose my mind if I did.) I don't have experience with either of those breeds. Are they sweet tempered? Hugs to you. :hugs
Yes, Seramas are extremely sweet and docile. They are tiny like dove to pigeon sized. I haven't had silkies but they are rumoured to be the sweetest breed out there

Back
Top Bottom