1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Berger Picard Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sword, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Does anyone on here have experience with Berger Picard dogs? I'm thinking about getting one when my elderly beagle goes to the great rabbit hunt in the sky (not for another year or two, I hope).
    From what I can tell:
    Pros: Cons:
    Energetic and athletic Hard to find in the US
    Easy to train Doesn't bark much (What can I say? I like noisy dogs)
    Not many health problems
    Protective
    Low maintenance coat

Does anyone here have anything to add to that? I'm mostly wondering about how much of a prey drive they have and how well they do in canine sports like skijoring/bikejoring and carting (recreational only). Anybody know any particularly good breeders?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I never heard of them so I googled it....what a cool breed of dog! I can see why you picked them.

3. Orpygal

Orpygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    The Because of Winn Dixie dog right? Pretty rare breed. I think you'd be best to contact a breeder or someone in the club.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think Mother Earth News, or one of the homesteading magazines had an article on them a year or so ago. Sounded like amazing dogs. There were a few breeders of them. I think one was in Missouri??

Shelly

5. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    They are neat dogs. Not as big as I thought when I finally saw one in person.
    If you like noisy dogs, you might also look at Icelandic Sheepdogs and Pyrenean Shepherds (thats NOT a great pyr), two other medium sized less common breeds that are also bright and easily trained.

6. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Quote:I'll have to try and find that article! Do you remember approximately what issue had it? [​IMG]

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I'll have to try and find that article! Do you remember approximately what issue had it? [​IMG]

I'll look around and see if I can find it. Now that I think about it, I don't think it was MEN, probably another smaller homesteading magazine. I'll let you know!

Shelly

8. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by