Bernard Matthews Dead At 80

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thaiturkey, Dec 6, 2010.

1. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Have you heard of him? He created a factory turkey empire from nothing in Norfolk, England. His tv advertisements featured him in country tweeds in front of a huge old mansion. We all thought that his Christmas turkeys enjoyed their lives on his lawn.

A few years ago there was scandal when his birds were found to have avian 'flu. When it was made public that many came ready for slaughter from Hungary where they had 'flu he claimed that his factory was in a 'flu free area. In fact they started their journey in a 'flu ridden part of Hungary. His protests of innocence angered many people after he was caught lying.

Later, an animal rights group filmed his employees playing baseball with live turkeys in a barn.

His death has sparked off many Matthews/turkey jokes in England. He had few friends amongst his ex-customers.

Ironic that he should die at Thanksgiving.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1364673.ece

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Never heard of him, no.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Soooo did he create the broad breasted whites we have today?

4. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:I don't think so.

5. ebwy2

ebwy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    He made processed turkey roasting "joints" of meat. they taste ok, not great.

"Matthews became an insurance clerk to earn an income, and started his company in 1950, buying more turkeys. He was only able to join the business full-time after spending £3,000 buying the dilapidated Great Witchingham Hall, once the home of John Norris, and filling its 35 rooms with turkeys. While Matthews and his wife lived in two unheated rooms, turkeys were hatched in the dining-room, reared in the Jacobean bedrooms and slaughtered in the kitchens"

(wikipedia)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Who?

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm glad I didn't know him.