berries?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Dec 3, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    there is a tree in my garden that has these funny coloured berries on it they look angry lol like if you ate them they would taste nasty, i have seen irds eat them but i dont know if they are safe, should i get rid of it? i will have to "accidentally" burn it or something lol because my mum doesnt want to get rid of it

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Can you post a pic? Thanks

3. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Can you post a pic? Thanks

yeah wil take one now

4. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Looks like a cotoneaster to me but I'm not 100% positive. The berries aren't poisonous; birds just really don't like them. They'll eat them if they can't find anything better.

If you see birds eating them, then they are fine for your ducks so don't make mom mad :)

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I agree or maybe fire thorn, they look a lot like cotoneaster. Birds eat firethorn too. If the berries set on the tree for long they can ferment. so keep an eye out for drunk ducks.

Imp

7. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    LOL Drunk Ducks!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I've seen drunk robins before. The house behind us used to have a cherry tree and the robins would eat the cherries even after they had started fermenting on the ground or tree. It was funny to watch them try to fly, and try to land in the tree. My dog brought me several one year, she didn't hurt them, she was always concerned about other animals that appeared hurt. I just put them in a covered box until they sobered up.....lol.

9. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    there is a bird nesting in that tree if you can call it a tree its kinda small, and every time i let the dog out it jumps up and shakes the tree until the bird flys out, which is weird because he loves the ducks but hes really nasty to that bird [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by