Berry question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dawnjoennikki98, Nov 12, 2010.

1. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Hey All. My ducks love the berries in my yard, some are blue some are purple, and obviously they're not harmful , but i have a huge holy tree in the front yard where the ducks don't go. Every bird in town eats the berries from that tree. Can the ducks eat those berries? thanks!
    Dawn

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I leave it up to my ducks. They eat it, then it must be ok. I've noticed that they try everything, but only eat what they deem safe. I also think it is safe when other birds eat it. So I would not worry to much.

3. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thank you! I just have heard bad things about holly berries for people and dogs, so I wanted to be safe. :)

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I have seen sites with lists of bad things for ducks, but the lists were originally either written for humans or for dogs. What drives me crazy is that you cannot assume it is bad for ducks if it is bad for dogs or humans. I have plants on my property that a bad for humans or dogs, yet my ducks eat it all the time and have never gotten sick. Then there are other plants that are safe and they avoid it. So I stopped to worry. They seem to know what works for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by