1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Berry spoiled chickens pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bayouchica, May 23, 2008.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi everyone, it's time for the tame dew berries to ripen.Guess who's reaping the benefits,lol?
    We have been truly blessed with a wonderful crop of berries this year,I've never seen so many before.
    I've picked about a couple of gallons a day & put them in the frig for afternoon treats. [​IMG]
    It was funny my MIL was picking & the chickens were stealing them from her bucket... [​IMG]
    There's still some out there to ripen,it's crazy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yall have a great day,Miriam [​IMG]

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Cute pics [​IMG]

Ok, I have to ask, what is a Dew berry? Are they edible for people? They kind of look like a blackberry to me, but I am definitely not an expert on berries, lol!

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi BrahmaMama, yes they are for people too, there're dew berries.We have wild ones that grow along ditch banks that are smaller,ripen earlier than these do.
    There're big this year, bigger than my thumb.

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I can't wait for berry picking time here in Michigan! I still have a few months to go. Never had a dew berry before. I don't think they are native here. I really had to laugh when I read about your chickens stealing your mother in laws berries!

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    They are like blackberries. In the early yrs.==Cameron NC was known as the 'Dewberry Capital'! They are good berries.. wish I could find some plants..Enjoy your bounty...Dixie

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Awe how cute. I know ours love our wild blueberry bushes we have growing all over our property. The chickens know right where they are too. If they catch you standing by one, they are right there to recover some yummies. [​IMG]

Jody

7. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:Cool, thanks for the info! [​IMG]

I just planted a blackberry "stick" and two grape "sticks" I say stick, because I just bought the little boxed plant package from Menards...so hopefully something comes out of them, lol!

8. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    We have a ton of wild berries. I was picking them last month, but now everything is overgrown so it is hard to get to them and I saw a huge snake today. I am thinking about transplanting some to a better spot in my garden. I used them in a cobbler.

They are delicious and free!

[​IMG]

9. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Ooh, those look delicious!

10. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Yes! Those look delicious!