1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**Bertha Quit laying!!**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tripp16, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok I have been worried for 2 weeks! Bertha (Golden comet) is about 1 1/2 years old. She was a everyday layer, untill a snake started eating the eggs. Well the snakes gone and she started laying somewhere else. I put a golf ball in the nest to keep snakes away and showed her the nest and after that, she stopped laying! She hasnt layed in two weeks!!

I have searched EVERYWHERE for the eggs out in the run and in every nook and cranny in the house. My hens dont free range unless I let them out during cleaning time.

Any ideas?? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Let me think.....could she be molting? I know they quit laying for that.....

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I wonder about molting also.

We have entered the season here - many a chicken running around with only one or two tail feathers - they make me laugh [​IMG]

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:No she isnt molting. She hasnt lost a feather.. [​IMG]

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anyone else.... Im worried! I need that rent payed! Hehe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by