1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Besides buff orpington and barred rocks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dg14, Dec 2, 2014.

1. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    What are 2 other different breeds that are still easy going.not agressive average laying hens. [​IMG]

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The first thing to have non aggressive hens is to give them enough room but that wasn't your question. I have a mixed flock of about 15 different breeds. The more docile ones are brabanters (white eggs), welsummers (dark brown), BR, russian orloff (brown) and ameraucana (blue) in my flock. They also tend to be more towards the bottom of the pecking order. Of all of those I think my barred rocks and orloffs have the best personalities (inquisitive, easy to handle). It will all depend upon the stock, the existing older hens, age, size setup... You will get many different answers because we all have different mixes and setups.

3. dg14

Dec 1, 2014
    I have an 4x8x6 and planning to build on it in the future its housing 2 chickens right now theyre pretty happy ahahaha. cool :eek:

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We have a mixed flock that consists of Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Red Sex Links, Easter Egger, Black Australorp and Speckled Sussex. Of those the SS and RSL are the least aggressive. The SS are almost timid and are at the bottom of the pecking order but they are the sweetest birds, laying large light brown eggs. The RSL are the little clowns in the group, they're very curious, out-going birds and they give us the largest eggs of all our birds.

Perchon chick is right about space issues. And of course, the more interaction any of them have with people will make them more docile and easier to handle.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pretty much any of your dual purpose hens are going to fit your needs. Australorps, any of the other Rocks, Wyandottes, Sussex, sex links, etc.

6. dg14

Dec 1, 2014
    So i could probably get 2 more hens for a comfortable fit? i have a coop/run 4x8x6 probobly going to be giving some eggs away if i can. since if i had for birds i'd be averaging in 16 eggs a week. or maybe i could just start baking more.. lol i plan on extending the coop so they could actually "free range" protected just not sure how to go about that. what kind of wire mesh/ wood do i use to extend the coop to make an open space? there coop is pretty open im just thinking in the near future there gonna need to get out a lot ya know? [​IMG]

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

So for now the total space they have is the 4x8x6? That is ok for four birds, if you also have a good run attached. If that is the total space they have...I wouldn't get any more birds until your coop/run extension is done. Maybe you can post a pic of your setup?

8. dg14

Dec 1, 2014
    I definitely will after i do some finishing touches just did an inspection and one of the boards fell off good thing i caught it dont need no racoons going in there. or it falling on the chicken. i just had a scary expierence.. i went to go clean the coop up and one of em almost escaped and got trapped by my foot by the door and the door it is now traumatized by the door i of course freaking out had to close the door and catch her she let me catch her thank goodness. now shes avoiding the door (Walking away from it when i open it) do you think shes going to forget it overnight and trust me again? i feel so terrible! shes the one that loves being held but now is probably like oh heck no she aint picking me up again! aww D:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by