Besides safeguard for goats what other dewormer do I need for chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peafowlmom, Feb 20, 2012.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    I also have 2 month old chicks. I do not know for sure if all are infected, but better safe than sorry.I had some water bowl, and feeders outside for me to clean and left them. What's new? Well it rained yesterday and yuk and behold white worms in the bottom of waterers and feeders. I have the safeguard foe goats but I don't think that covers everything. Could someone tell me what is missing? Thanks ahead.
    Carrie

oh can my dog get them? I have seen them eating the chickens poo.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Can I spray my yard with maybe bleach?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

I very much doubt those are worms that came out of your chickens, or worms that they can get, though. Two guesses that come to mind are fly larvae and, in water, mosquito larvae. I honestly don't know whether dogs can get worms from eating chicken poop, but a lot of dogs certainly eat chicken poop. You don't often see worms in chicken poop, even if the chicken has a lot of them. Most people routinely worm their dogs, anyway. Neither your chickens or your dogs are likely to be completely free of worms, they are so common, and in the soil. I would guess bleach will not kill the worms in the soil but don't actually know.

4. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    these look like roundworms. They were in 2 waterers for chicks, 1 feeder. They are long and white, The babies are tiny tiny brown worms.and they are at the bottom of the containers. My face and everywhere itches!

I hatched chicks for a friend and they were their feeders. One waterer was from a 4 month silkie, peacocks and a puppy were around this waterer though. I wormed all my birds about 1 month to 2 months ago. Just recently we wormed our dogs. Our puppy owner said they wormed him but I am taking a sample to the vet tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    You can use Safeguard for goats on chicks????? Oh my gosh. How? We have some left over from our puppy and I have been wondering what to do with it. Should I need it for chicks/chickens how would I use it?

6. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    I didn't give it to little chicks they were at least 2 months. The ones I hatched for my friend he will have to deworm.But it is 3cc per gallon, if I am wrong arrows will be flying this way soon.

7. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    That is really cool. Thank you so much. :)

8. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    The vets could not identify the worms. They said they could be mosquito or any other worm that they dug up and then put face in dish then they hatched

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by