Besides vets, who will help you test sick chickens?

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I know a vet is an option, but who else? We live in the city but are surrounded by rural land-I have seen a usda office and I know we have an extension. Could someone give me the facts on who tests chickens, the process, etc. I am totally new at this, and I have some hens that seem ill and I would REALLY like to know what I am dealing with before I treat them and bring in more. :/

But, I don't know where to start or who to call and don't want to sound like a total idiot when i do!

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Oh and if I do take a sample to a vet, what should I have them test it for? I am mostly worried about diseases that will not go away, making these birds carriers. I already know they have mites/lice, treated for worms just in case--worried about all the various respiratory illnesses, besides coryza what else should we test for?

Nambroth

Fud Lady
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Western NY
My Coop
My Coop
You can tell them that you have birds that seem ill, with ____ symptoms, and you are very concerned about infectious respiratory disease. You can say that you are concerned with the management and well-being of your flock and any future birds you bring in. Ask what resources they have available for testing of your birds. It will differ with each location.

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
You can tell them that you have birds that seem ill, with ____ symptoms, and you are very concerned about infectious respiratory disease. You can say that you are concerned with the management and well-being of your flock and any future birds you bring in. Ask what resources they have available for testing of your birds. It will differ with each location.
Thank you. :) I have talked with a few vets, state ext., and usda office, and can do a necropsy when they pass.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom