Besides vets, who will help you test sick chickens?

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I know a vet is an option, but who else? We live in the city but are surrounded by rural land-I have seen a usda office and I know we have an extension. Could someone give me the facts on who tests chickens, the process, etc. I am totally new at this, and I have some hens that seem ill and I would REALLY like to know what I am dealing with before I treat them and bring in more. :/

But, I don't know where to start or who to call and don't want to sound like a total idiot when i do!

Oh and if I do take a sample to a vet, what should I have them test it for? I am mostly worried about diseases that will not go away, making these birds carriers. I already know they have mites/lice, treated for worms just in case--worried about all the various respiratory illnesses, besides coryza what else should we test for?

You can tell them that you have birds that seem ill, with ____ symptoms, and you are very concerned about infectious respiratory disease. You can say that you are concerned with the management and well-being of your flock and any future birds you bring in. Ask what resources they have available for testing of your birds. It will differ with each location.

You can tell them that you have birds that seem ill, with ____ symptoms, and you are very concerned about infectious respiratory disease. You can say that you are concerned with the management and well-being of your flock and any future birds you bring in. Ask what resources they have available for testing of your birds. It will differ with each location.
Thank you. :) I have talked with a few vets, state ext., and usda office, and can do a necropsy when they pass.

Back
Top Bottom