best absorbent material for a poop board??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smcdermott, Oct 9, 2015.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Sand isn't working so great??!

What would be the next best thing? I was going to try just regular cat litter???

2. rockriver

rockriver Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    I use sawdust

3. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Ok, thanks

4. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Cat litter may work. What is the problem with sand?

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You might try a bag Sweet PDZ. I found nothing better, and when I cleaned off the poop board completely to start fresh, I just scooped off the poop and tossed whatever was left of the Sweet PDZ on the board right into the litter. Does a bang up job of getting rid of ammonia smells and dries poop up fast!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems. What about the sand that is not working?
    I use a mixture of sand, DE, garden soil and Sweet PDZ for my "catch containers" or poop boards. The birds do scratch & peck in them after I scoop them out every day, so I'm not sure if cat litter is suitable or not?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Noooo, probably not a good idea.
    Some cat littlers have chemicals in them and the even the pure plain clay stuff wouldn't be good inside a chicken.

I use sand mixed with PDZ about a half inch deep, keep sit from sticking to board and the PD absorbs ammonia,
    sift all the poops out 2-3 times a week with 15 birds.
    Use a cut down garden hoe to help push it all into mesh basket, scrape roosts and any wet spots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  8. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We use Sweet PDZ on the poopboard with great success. It helps absorb odor and moisture. I use a mesh paper/desk tray and a wide putty knife to "scoop".

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    I've been using sweet pdz for a while. It works great. Dries the poop up quick and no smells. I use a small kitty litter scoop to clean mine up.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    We took a piece of 1/4 inch hardware cloth we had leftover, formed one of end of it to look like a cat litter scoop, rolled the other end to make a handle, and covered the "handle" with electrical tape to protect hands. Worked amazingly well - most other methods involved either cat litter scoops which missed a lot of the smaller "crumbs" or slotted spoons and such. This one was effective and cheap!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by