Best Age for a Thanksgiving Turkey to be Slaughtered

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Farkha Laziza, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Farkha Laziza

Farkha Laziza Chirping

Mar 28, 2015
    Egypt
    If one wants to roast a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, what's the best age for it to be? The turkey would be slaughtered on Thanksgiving and cooked immediately.

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Not a good idea unless you want a very tough turkey. The recommendation is to butcher the turkey 3 days ahead of time and allow the carcass to rest in a cooler (refrigerator) in order for the muscles to pass through rigor mortis. Some people that they can get by butchering one day before and soaking the carcass in a brine overnight before cooking the next day.

3. Farkha Laziza

Farkha Laziza Chirping

Mar 28, 2015
    Egypt
    Who said I would wait long enough for rigor mortis to set in? The bird would be in the oven before that happened. I said it would be cooked the same day to distinguish it from a turkey that might be frozen a month in advance or something. I want to know how far in advance we need to get the turkey chick to be ready by Thanksgiving.

4. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Crowing

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Depends on the variety.

Heritage turkeys are mature with a nice fat layer from 27 weeks and up.

Broad breasted turkeys are mature with a nice fat layer from 20 weeks and up.

Hybrids are mature with a nice fat layer from 24 weeks and up.

All turkeys are more tender after a few days of dry aging in the fridge. The enzyme action tenderizes the meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: