Best age for sexing ducks

mandolinmama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Urbana Missouri
Since I bought straight run ducks, I have no idea who it what. These kids are five-ish weeks old and are mostly feathered out.
2 Pekin
2 Campbells
1 What-cha-ma-call-it

About how old are they when they start to "quack" or for drakes to have the tail curl?

Not that it matters really, I love love love these kids anyhow. Here I thought chickens were fun.
tongue.png
I'm in love with my duckie-doos.

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Seriously, I didn't think ducks would be as much fun as chickens. Wrong! They are both a ton of fun.
smile.png
I noticed the difference in my 4 khaki campbell ducklings when they were really young. At 5 weeks, I'm guessing they are getting a few feathers. Right now, at the age of 10 weeks, you have all of the feathers. But you don't have the drake tail curl but the girls do have that distinct QUACK compared to the whisper whisper of the boy.

I think I got lucky and got 1 drake to 3 ducks. Whoo hoo!

Wanna post some pictures? We love pictures. Maybe we could figure out your "what-cha-ma-call-it.""
wink.png

I say just start looking at pics on this site. I figured out my thought-to-be mallard has probably turned out to be a Rouen. I have Khakis, one rouen and one pekin. See my website for pics. Mine are 8 weeks old. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom