1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Best all Around Duck for Homesteading?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tennmomn3girls, Nov 2, 2013.

1. tennmomn3girls

tennmomn3girls New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    Would like to know everyone's thoughts on good Duck breeds for meat/eggs/foraging...
    I have 2 Muscovy ducks
    Kind of tired of chickens in my garden beds...they are so destructive!

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Muscovy or Silver Appleyards. Love both types of ducks.

3. tennmomn3girls

tennmomn3girls New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    Awesome. Where is a good place to get Silver Appleyards? I have a small Brinsea incubator so I can do hatching eggs.
    Have a little time now since gardening season is over :)

4. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    I don't like muscovy very much I have 5 of them are now.
    [​IMG]

5. tennmomn3girls

tennmomn3girls New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    Why don't you like them? I think they are beautiful.

6. The Farm

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    They are so big for ducks and they don't like the water I like my Call duck way better. But you have the animals you like you will keep them.

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    I can't help you there. I don't know a lot of people in the US. But Holderread farm has them. http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

8. sweethappymom

sweethappymom New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    Somerset, Texas
    I've been wanting to get ducks but we have a swimming pool and I REALLY don't want ducks in the pool. I have a 4 ft fence around the pool and am shortly getting a 6 ft privacy fence around the back yard. We're on 3 acres, so there would be plenty of other areas for ducks to roam, but I really don't want them ending up in the pool. So maybe the Muscovy would be a good one to have considering what The Farm said about them not liking water. Now, if I could just find out if they'd be likely so get over that fence...

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oh don't be mistaken about the muscovy and water-- they love their little kiddie sandbox filled with water, and they piss me off when they jump into the horse troughs and muck that up, too.

I only have muscovy so soory I can't comment on other types of ducks. Saw plenty at the Boston Expo, gorgeous ducks of every type and size and shape. THe buff were huge and stocky. THe runners tall and elegant.

I like the muscovy because they do not quack. One less noisy creature.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  10. The Farm

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    I am sorry about the way my post came across. I was just saying that the MUSCOVY'S aren't for me I like to watch my Call ducks play under water tag. I just got 3 more muscovy hens today. I us them to hatch out my goose eggs.

My apologizes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by