1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best (and easy) deviled egg recipe?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Mish, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Mish

Mish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Macomb, MI
    First year with chickens and I was thinking it would be great to take deviled eggs for a Thanksgiving side dish. So I'm looking for a favorite recipe instead of doing my normal web search.

One trick I've heard is to use a big zip-lock bag to mush everything and then.... cut out a corner and the bag is a handy way to squeeze the filling into the eggs.

Anyone ever use duck eggs?

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Never used duck eggs or the ziploc bag trick, but the way I do mine is mash up the yolks in a small bowl, then in my mini-chopper mince up some celery, capers, parsley and sour pickle (gives it more "snap" than dill) add that & season to taste with yellow mustard, mayo & creole seasoning.

3. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

My MIL makes it with mayo and bit of mustard, salt and pepper---simple, but very tasty.

4. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I mash the yolks with a little Thousand Island salad dressing and a tiny dab of horseradish. Yummy!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Mine are mayo, mustard, small amount of pureed dill pickles & LOTS of paprika

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've heard they are not good with duck eggs. I would just add mayo (I use miracle whip) sweet relish, or atleast some of the juice, mash with a fork and then whisk. Put in a piping bag and fill the whites back up.

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

i dont pipe them, just use a small spoon to dollop them back in after mixing and mushing in a bowl... the standard recipe is fine by me though I like the idea of capers...might try that. There was a thread on here not long ago where duck eggs were used and it was not a favorable outcome. Cant remember the exact problem...something about rubbery whites... but i remember thinking *ewww*

8. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    Quote:this sounds yummy! may give this a try...

9. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Miracle whip, mustard and a disgusting amount of sugar. sprinkle with paprika.

10. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    We do a little mayo, mustard, dill or sour pickles chopped fine (whichever I have opened then), salt, pepper and a bit of sour cream mixed in. Like Maizey, I just use a spoon to put it back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by