Best antibiotic cream?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Skye'sDucks, Jul 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM.

1. My duck was attacked this morning, I've got it under control as it isn't bad (a few shallow puncture wounds on the head) but I wanted to ask if there's an antibiotic cream I can use for her? I'm suspecting a raccoon was the attacker and I don't know what kind of diseases they can carry.

I'm nowhere near a TSC but I'm going up to a local feed store today anyways so I can see if they have something.

Thanks!

2. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Bactricin

Skye'sDucks likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I use an antiseptic spray it's clear. Clean the would good with warm water and peroxide once and apply the antiseptic spray. Keep away from flies.

Skye'sDucks likes this.
  4. I do have an antiseptic spray that I used on her as well. I did what you said and now she's resting.

chickens really likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well best of luck..Birds heal quickly...

Skye'sDucks likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can use Neosporin.

Jpat and Skye'sDucks like this.
  7. Alright thank you, I wasn't certain if one would be better than the other.

Jpat likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is the Walmart branded one that I use:
    equate neosporin_1.jpeg

9. Alright, thank you. For now we just put some neosporin on her wounds. I also had two other questions...

One, when is it safe to take her eggs to eat? I threw out this morning's egg since I'm pretty sure she laid it after she was attacked, and I wasn't certain if it was safe or not. Am I just misinformed or was that okay to do?

The other is that she really hasn't eaten at all today. Is that normal? It was around 7:30 or so in the morning when I cleaned her up and penned her up with some food and water. I'm pretty certain she's been drinking, I even saw her drink a couple times, but it doesn't look like she's touched the food. I tried to give her a little baby asprin for the pain but she didn't touch that either so I couldn't get it in her.

Mostly she's just been standing with her head tucked in sleeping/dozing. She's laid down a couple times. The worst wound is near her right ear hole but doesn't look any deeper than the others. She has one puncture down closer to the underside/side of her jaw on the left side, and another two scabbed over punctures on her left side as well. They aren't severe, but she's being mostly lethargic/stationary when I leave her alone. She tries to run when I grab her though and squirms plenty when I hold her, and I'm counting that as a good sign...

Thanks again.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

:hugsIf it happened this morning shock is usually first to happen. If she drinking that’s a good sign. She should begin to eat tomorrow I’d think. As for eating her eggs no reason not to unless your giving her an oral antibiotic. Hope she is feeling better real soon

Skye'sDucks likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: