Best antibiotic to prevent infection in wounds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TattooQ27, Mar 16, 2012.

1. TattooQ27

TattooQ27 Chillin' With My Peeps

My NH red hen has a hole about the size of a dime in diameter in her head/neck. I am pretty sure my rooster did it. We have her in a dog crate in the house now so she is safe and warm. I would like to start her on an antibiotic but I am not sure which one would be best. I would prefer something I can get at TSC and can give orally if possible. I was thinking about Tylan 50 or Duramycin. I am leaning towards the Tylan 50 but I found the dose would be 1/2 -1cc twice daily for 7-10 days and I am worried about the possibility of my hen aspirating the medication. Is that a real concern or will she be ok as long as I am careful? I know I can give the Tylan by injection but I won't have help and I don't think I would want to do it by myself.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Have you considered just using something topical?? With this kind of injury, I usually spray well with blukote (antiseptic) then load up the area with a good dollop of Neosporin. You could cover with gauze and vetwrap (not too tight obviously) changing and redressing daily.

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    When one of my hens was attacked by an eagle, I cleaned the wound with a sting free iodine, and then sprayed with Blu-kote. She recovered.

4. TattooQ27

TattooQ27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Blu-kote it is! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by