Best Area for Bob White Quail Chicks?

serendipity22

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
NC
This is my first time hatching out Bob White Quail. At the maximum, there would be 200 chicks. (If they all hatch
roll.png
)

Will it be alright to bed them in a 12 x 14 enclosed area together? The flooring will be covered with a deep bed of shavings. Is that acceptable?

And I also understand that it is best to keep them in a relatively dark area so they won't peck each other. What are your thoughts on this? What else do I need to know?

(They will only be kept at most till they're 7 weeks old. Then they will either be sold, re homed, eaten or accidentally escape. I might keep a few breeding pairs, but that's it.)

Any help, ideas or such will be MUCH appreciated.

caf.gif

When you say 12 x 24 are you talking feet? Also is this like a shed or some place draft free? For lighting use 250 watt RED heat lights. They work great for quail! You can also add clippings from pine trees in the brooder for hiding and sprigs of millet for a treat!
Good Luck let us know how it goes!
big_smile.png

It is a 12 x 14 foot stall. Fully enclosed from top to bottom with a sand/dirt floor. On top of the dirt is a good 12 inches of shavings. There is no access to the outside and when fully closed, very very little light would come in. I will put a box fan in a corner to help facilitate a breeze, if necessary. The barn is wired and already has a red heat lamp installed. However, in this type of weather, I imagine I won't have to use it for long at all.

I just don't know anything about this type of bird and want to know if this type of 'brooder' will be good for them.

How much light should they have? How much room do they need?

(I have sucessfully raised chicks, keets, poults, ducks and peafowl over the last few years. but Holy Cow... this could be ALOT of birds!!)

The amount of room sounds fine! Make sure there is plenty of feeder and waterer space. Just make sure there are no little cracks...openings...or holes they can get out of. OR fly out of...a good solid roof helps insure this!
big_smile.png

Cool!

Thanks for the info! I FEEL that it is as enclosed as enclosed gets. Nice solid roof, plywood everywhere... My fear was that it would be too cramped. But hopefully, a bunch of them will find new homes pretty quickly.

I can't wait to see these little buggers running around!

Well if there is going to be 200 quail you will need more than one heat lamp to start. Otherwise they will pile up and kill each other to stay warm...No fan needed for the first couple of weeks.

A couple of feeders and waters will also be needed to provide plenty of space for them to feed and drink. crowding is the worst thing for wilds.

When you start them on the feed make sure to grind it down a bit as most game bird rations are very large crumble, this will make it easyer for them to eat it and get them off to a good start. We grind/blend down the crumble for the first week with our quail.

Post pic's..havent seen 200 quail in long time in chick wise..
jumpy.gif

You should have plenty of space there..However it will be fun to go in and water and feed when there about 2-3 weeks old..they will probly "burst into the air in all direction all at once..!!!!!"
ep.gif

Charlie

Last edited:
Yup i know how its gonna be..Just doing 50 or 100 is fun... LOL

There really are fun little birds to raise..I like when they get down and put there lil butts in the air and lil heads to the ground right before they blast off.... They are quik too...
gig.gif

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom