Best assortment special

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Doodles21, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Doodles21

Doodles21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    I have been researching assortment packages from several of the major mail-order hatcheries and I'm having trouble deciding which to settle on. I would really like a diverse flock and don't mind surprises. I'm liking the variety offered by Sandhill Preservation but I don't think I want to order 25 chicks. I've seen that MPC has a mixed assortment at a fair price... are there any other suggestions? I'd like to hear about any experiences others have had ordering assortments. Thanks so much!

2. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Hi Doodles,

I wanted a smaller flock, as it sounds like you do. The options I found were Nature's Hatchery, MPC, and IDEAL. I initially placed an order with NH, and it came to around $60 for 5 birds. However, they did not respond to my emails or phone calls, which seems to be consistent with their behavior. I (tried to) cancel that order, and instead placed an order with IDEAL. Their minimum order was $25 in birds, which amounted to 10 for me. Shipping was another $15. I was very happy with their service, I received a personal email and call right away. Nature's Hatchery called me around a month later saying they were ready to ship my chickens... I had forgotten about that order completely. I would just pick an assortment you're happy with and find a place you're comfortable ordering from. Or, you could order a mix of Ideal's "Assorted Breed Pullets" and get around 12 birds for $40 after shipping. What is your desired flock size? I'm sure that will make a difference.

3. reggiejr

reggiejr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2009
    maine
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page10.html#hatcherysurprise I ordered the hatchery surprise this spring and I was very satisfied with it.If your looking for a good mix of different breeds this will definatly work. we got lots of different breed chickens and also you could get a couple of ducks,geese,or turkeys thown in there too [​IMG].well worth the price.good luck

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Two possibilities for you:

1.) Find somebody locally who is willing to spilt the order with you.

2.) Check with your local feed stores. One out of four of our local feed stores was willing to order exactly what I wanted - - - -
    I wanted 2 of this and 2 of that and 2 of the other kind. . . . I paid 2.75 - 3.5 a chick depending on what I ordered.
    I didn't have to pay any additional charges - - no mins, no shipping, etc.

I got all pullets. Plus, I didn't have to worry about being there when they were delivered.
    The feed store called me when they came in and the next day I picked them up.

5. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I ordered 25 mystery assortment from MPC on June 1. Nice assortment, still trying to figure out a few. They actually shipped 29 instead of 25. Lost 3. I ended up with Barred rocks, white leghorns, naked neck, speckled sussex, welsummer, & still a few mysteries, lt. brown leghorn.

I just received another 25 mystery assortment from MPC and received it today. Another nice assortment. Buff orpingtons, barred rocks, australorps, ??? a few interesting looking ones I'm excited to see what they are.

It is nice to get the assortment, but I had looked into Sandhill Preservation and they send a mystery assortment AND put a list on the outside of the box of what is in there. I like surprises, but I also don't mind getting an assortment with a list too.

Cackle hatchery surprise package was very tempting to me . . . but it does sound like you get a lot plus a few different things like ducks, turkeys, etc. I think finding a friend to share the assortment sounds like the way to go like others have written.

Good luck!

6. Meyer Hatchery

Meyer Hatchery Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
    Meyer Hatchery has a minimum order of 3 baby chicks to anywhere and we are having a 40% off sale on our Brown Egg Layer Assortment for the 7/12/10 hatch! There is no minimum quantity to recieve 40% off. With that assortment you'll recieve a minimum 3 varieties. So, if you order 3 chicks you'd get 3 differnt breeds.

You can check out the sale here: http://www.meyerhatchery.com/page_224.htm

7. Doodles21

Doodles21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Thanks so much! This has been really helpful. I'm glad to hear that getting an assortment is as much fun as I thought it would be. I'm still very tempted to go with Sandhill just because they do have the list and I haven't found another hatchery that does this. The price works out to $1 per chick (before shipping) so that is a pretty good deal too. The sale that Meyer's is offering is pretty tempting too but I don't think I'm quite ready to order yet considering I haven't even decided where to build my coop. Thanks again, this is the most helpful forum I've ever joined. [​IMG]

8. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:Just remember they are all straight run! I was very tempted too but ending up with a bunch of roosters usually isn't my ultimate goal [​IMG]

9. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:Just remember they are all straight run! I was very tempted too but ending up with a bunch of roosters usually isn't my ultimate goal [​IMG]

+1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by