Best Auto Door for mounting to floor of coop

lisacraig

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
Hi, we are a year-in with chicken ownership, and building a coop for our adult daughter (first one was purchased). We love the automatic door on ours and want one for this one, however the setup is different. it's a coop over a run, so we will have a ramp with a floor entry to the. coop. Should all automatic doors be able to be mounted this way? have you done this and what model did you use?

Hi, we are a year-in with chicken ownership, and building a coop for our adult daughter (first one was purchased). We love the automatic door on ours and want one for this one, however the setup is different. it's a coop over a run, so we will have a ramp with a floor entry to the. coop. Should all automatic doors be able to be mounted this way? have you done this and what model did you use?
IMO floor pop doors are a bad design.
What is the floor area in sq ft?
Regardless, the equivalent area under the coop would only be a fraction of the minimum needed area for the run. Therefore, I would fully secure the area under the coop with 1/2" hardware cloth then put your automatic pop door between that area and the much larger main run.

IMO floor pop doors are a bad design.
What is the floor area in sq ft?
Regardless, the equivalent area under the coop would only be a fraction of the minimum needed area for the run. Therefore, I would fully secure the area under the coop with 1/2" hardware cloth then put your automatic pop door between that area and the much larger main run.

These chickens like ours will free range so the run under the coop is only for a couple hrs a day

I don't think I've ever seen an auto door designed for a floor pop door - might need to design it yourself, if you're a tinkering type. Like something that pulls up the ramp to close up the opening on a timer or light sensor, something like that.

Or if the intent is that they free range most of the day, make sure the run is as predator proof as possible, and put the auto door on the run wall instead.

Back
Top Bottom