Best AUTO opening Chicken Door to get?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Thunder Bay Chicken, May 4, 2011.

1. Thunder Bay Chicken

Thunder Bay Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    North of Thunder Bay
    Any suggestions? Which do you use and why?

MAKE & MODEL and price where did you get it?

Looking for something of high quality, easy to install and BUILT to LAST... no plastic junk I prefer metal.

Any recommendations, tips or suggestions... FIRE away people! [​IMG]

THX in advance

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Do a search on auto doors and you'll see a TON of them that folks are using here.

I, personally, like the Pullet Shut Door since it swings open and cannot be lifted from the outside by a raccoon.

Check 'em all out and figure out which one works best for you and your situation.

[​IMG]

3. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Hi, we already had a door. A piece of scrap metal, so all we needed was the motor and timer. We bought the Addamotor one and LOVE it. Had it over a year now and never had an issue. My hubby installed it on a Saturday morning. Easy install. [​IMG]

He made sure the door goes below the floor so critters can't lift it. We do have 'coons and 'yotes around here, and nothing has been able to get in.

We didn't need the whole assembled kit thing and didn't have the money to spend. Most of them are over $250. We spent less than $100 on the whole project.

I'm looking at the solar powered kit that goes with the motor now. We had a financial setback and need to hold off for a few months. I've heard it too installs easy. I can't wait! [​IMG]

Anyhow, for less than $100, I recommend this one:

Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor

Good luck! [​IMG]

E/

4. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I second that addamotor ($80) situation, just got mine,works great. people are amazed by it especially when you DIY..

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    We use the add a motor also, with plywood as the door and a timer from walmart. Worked through the whole winter, snow and all.

6. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    We are not DIY people. My husband doesn't like to read instructions. So I went with the easiest auto door I could find which for me was the Foy's Auto Door opener. I have the solar sensor and it has worked every day since we installed it without fail. I LOVE this door, but I understand others are happy with theirs as well. Ours was pretty pricey, but it was so worth the money for us. We also purchased the metal door as an option along with the opener. The girls are happy and I'm happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by