Best Automatic Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by savilcr, Apr 14, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
  2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I used an orange Depot bucket with a lid, two flanges, bolts & nuts, a shut-off valve, and a short length of hose. I forget what it cost me, but not as much as one of those ready-made waterers that get all 'poopy'.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket, attach the two flanges - one inside, one outside, use silicone caulk between. Attach shut-off valve, attach hose, attach hose to a fitting to the length of PVC pipe. Drill holes for the nipples, support the pipe at the right height. Elevate the bucket - Mine is 5 1/2 feet high inside the coop.

OR you can get the push-in nipples, and attach them directly to the bottom of a bucket, make a stand the right height for the bucket. This is eaiser - I got my nipples from farmtek catalog. Nice stuff, works real well. I only add to my bucket water every 5 days or so. You can connect directly to a hose if you use a float valve, like in a toilet.

Hope this helps:)

3. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    do the ones in the attached link get very messy? i am going to hang it in the air so they cant get stuff all over it.

4. pampered_poultry

pampered_poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
  5. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    well I went ahead and ordered one from the link above, I am going to hang it about neck level for the chicks, anyone have any trouble with these?

6. pampered_poultry

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    Those little giants are a disaster to work with. You will find yourselves dealing with the float level and having to adjust it to bring it back to the level you need. (the water will fill up and overflow). In addition - the brass on the fitting does attract some birds and they will actually peck at it until they 'screw' off the bowl causing the water to sometimes continue to flow and wet the pen.

However if you just stuck on these - go here and you can buy all of the ones I took out of my coop. Only 2 were ever used for about a week - the others were installed and just hanging. There is also one that is brand new in the package that I never installed. And there is a parts kit that Miller Co. sent me to try and solve the float problems (did not work). I will make you a great deal on these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290555405558&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

7. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    well I already bought it now, I will probably just spray paint the brass black and suspend it in the air. I think they will work well once i get done with it

8. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    Quote:I used to have these in all my pigeon pens back when I had pigeons and they worked great for them.

9. pampered_poultry

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    When you suspend it – make sure you tie if off to something near the bowl. because if not – the chickens will hit it and knock the water out of the bowl and cause the bowl to refill time and time again… causing a mud puddle all around your waterer.

10. savilcr

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    I am going to either strap it to a tree/fence or use a tie down and secure it so it is sturdy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by