Best back yard chicken breed!

AdamSchmidt89

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best BYC breed. What I mean is good QUITE layers we had a red Sussex that was starting to be a great layer but she was sooooo loud starting at 6 am and finally quiting around 7pm!!! She got moved to my fathers house so she would have more room and not as many neighbors. Thanks for your help have a great evening.

There is not one "best" chicken breed. It all depends on what you want in a chicken. Since excellent egg production combined with a calm and quiet (for a chicken) temperament seems to be your main criteria, I would suggest Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A BA holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever matched that rate of lay (and likely never will), I've still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom