best back yard chickens please show pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by soccerstar259, Nov 30, 2010.

1. soccerstar259

soccerstar259 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    hi i was wonddering what was the best breed of chickens for your backyard?

i was also wondering where is the best place to get baby chicks and at what time of the year

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ask 20 people this question and you will get 20 different answers. It truly depends on what you like. Many people like calmer breeds if they live in town especially. Orpingtons, Cochins, Wyandottes are all good calm, friendly bird. There are many varieties(colors) to choose from in both bantam and standard sizes. You will need to comb over some information and pictures to see what you want.
    How many do you want and how close to do you live to a major city? It depends on where you are and how many you want. Most hatcheries require you order at least 25 chicks. If you can locate a breeder, you may be able to find some close enough to go pick them up.
    Go to feathersite.com to look at pictures. If you want breed descriptions you can go to the top of the forum page here and look under "Breeds". If you have more questions, look through here and you can find them. The best thing is do the research first.
    Good luck.

3. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 Red Stars (very similar to Rhode Island Reds - that's what I was told they were when I bought them...just found out a few weeks ago that I'm wrong.) They're awesome in the backyard. They freerange most evenings and my kids can play with them and give them treats. Very friendly. And they each lay an egg a day. (although production is getting less consistent with the time change.) In spring, a lot of feed stores have chicks. Also, I heard someone suggest MyPetChicken.com for small orders. It looks like they're sold out for the year, but possibly early in the year? Good luck! Do you have a coop?

4. soccerstar259

soccerstar259 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    yes we have a coop and a couple birds but a few of them have died and i was just trying to get more.

5. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I forgot to show pics! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    wyandottes are good

[​IMG]

7. tmh-kjwclw

tmh-kjwclw New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Here is a pic our Golden Duckwing Welsummer. We are actually looking for Welsummer Hens.

[​IMG]

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I disagree. Wyandottes are bird aggressive in my experience, as well as sex links. That goes for the RIR and plymouth rocks I've had too. The only sex links I've ever owned worth what they cost were my golden comets - and I still watch them like a hawk for bird aggression.

I suggest Australorps, sussex, faverolles, russian orloffs, dorkings, barnevelders, and dark brahmas (my experience with the gold was bad.) I also dearly love Ameraucanas. All are beautiful birds, fairly hardy, and lay well (except for ameraucanas in the winter).

I had a marans roo once. The best tempered roo I ever had. I loved him, he just got too big for my girls. I assume the hens are the same way. (He was a cuckoo). I would love to get some hens.

If you are looking for a more ornamental type, I love my Spitzhauben. Good tempered girl, still a bit nuts though.

Best place is usually from a hatchery for backyard birds. Not show quality, but disease free. If you do order from a hatchery, I suggest Ideal - my birds from there are usually exceptional.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Ditto to that. But, a lot of hatchery birds to tend to show aggression because of poor breeding. I've heard countless stories of sour Wyandottes, mean Production Reds, mean Plymouth Rocks, and mean Sex Links. Had some mean Sex Links and Wyandottes myself.

10. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Gosh, there's so much you didn't say... makes it harder to answer. What is most important to you in your choice? Temperament, visual appeal, egg laying ability? What limitations do you have? If space is an issue you may want to choose a smaller type of bird. If the birds aren't going to be pets, you will have many more choices as some birds are just not pocket pets, generally speaking. If you don't want your yard destroyed the birds who have heavy foot feathering generally are not as destructive with their scratching. What color eggs do you want, or does that matter? Do you want a heritage breed or endangered breed? Without knowing, my recommendations would be: 1. Buff Orpingtons - great brown egg layers, gentle natured, absolutely beautiful 2. Blue Laced Red Wyandottes - stunning color, great brown egg layers, gentle natured 3. Bantam Wyandottes - adorable, fluffy little birds with great disposition, good layers and being bantams you'd have room for more of them versus a larger chicken 3. Lakenvelders - wow color, decent layers, not an in your pocket pet but oh so pretty to watch them out scratching about 4. Bantam cochins - adorable, friendly, many colors to choose from, not hard on your yard, very maternal and good layers when they aren't sitting.

Of course there are many more to choose from - black australorps, buttercups, marans, ameraucanas...

I recommend finding a local breeder to buy from versus a hatchery. I am not sure where you are located, but I'm betting someone on here is within an easy drive to get your new babies. Good luck. I hope you will post your choice and let us all know what you've decided upon and how they work out!
    Edited to add photos of some of our pretty birds in the backyard. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by