1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best bait for live trapping?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cheirogloss, Oct 16, 2009.

1. cheirogloss

cheirogloss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Lenoir, NC
    What is the best bait for live trapping a coon or possum?

Where do I place the trap in proximity to the coop?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some people use a can of sardines. I had success with a raccoon using peanut butter.

If you know which way he is approaching, just put if on that side.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Place the trap up against the side of the coop, with the trigger mechanism (which usually is a wire bar that runs on the outside of the cage) up against the wall. This prevents the critter from snapping the trap shut from the outside. If your pets are not able to get to the trap, you want to bait it with something meaty and smelly. If your animals can get to it, try a cob of dry corn. Some people go for peanut butter/marshmallows, but dogs like PB. Little pieces of stuff (like cat food or corn kernels) aren't the best choice b/c mice can get in there and trip the trigger.

If you find that the bait is missing and the trap is snapped, sometimes a varmint bigger than the trap has gotten in, and the door wouldn't shut all the way, allowing it to back out.

4. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    A dough ball made out of bread and molasses works good. You can push the dough right down on the floor of the trap or the mechanism. They love the sugary taste and they have to work at it, they can't just pick it up and run.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I've heard a lot of people say they've done very well with marshmallows. Raccoons have a sweet tooth and like the marshmallows, but your cats (if you have them) don't. Saves on re-setting the trap or having a cat in it when Mr. raccoon comes calling. Good luck catching it!

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Crack open a can of sardines. Ya want it open just enough to emit a smell. You want to attract coons that are already at the coop an not attract them from miles away. Also you don't want them to get to the food. They will fight with the can an set off the trap. I tie the can to the trap too. One can can last a long time.

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I've had good luck with dry dog and/or cat food. Cat food is better, because it has that fishy smell. I leave a small trail up to the trap, then pour some onto the pressure plate inside the trap.

I think it works so well because they dig around to get the small pieces, which triggers the trap.

I've caught possums, raccoons, a buzzard (that was a hoot!), and a bobcat. Oh, and the neighbor's cat a couple of times. [​IMG]

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I've had good luck with dry dog and/or cat food. Cat food is better, because it has that fishy smell. I leave a small trail up to the trap, then pour some onto the pressure plate inside the trap.

I think it works so well because they dig around to get the small pieces, which triggers the trap.

I've caught possums, raccoons, a buzzard (that was a hoot!), and a bobcat. Oh, and the neighbor's cat a couple of times. [​IMG]

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

10. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Depends on if you have outdoor cats. If so, and you use sardines, tuna, cat food, or the like, you'll probably wake up to Kitty in the cage...
    I'd use marshmallows and maple syrup. If you can, wire the marshmallows to the cage, or it's likley he'll just reah in for a quick snack.
    Good luck and keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by