best bantam egg layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ashylove, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ashylove

ashylove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    and a great personality is good too!!! lol... i love the japanese, but i am worried the eggs will be to small for us... what about the cochins? also does anyone have pics of eggs of these 2 next to a standard egg?

2. calee

calee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate, SC
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have heard a few: Salmon Favorelle bantams, Barred Rock bantams, RIR bantams if you dont get any roos.

My cochin bantams have been laying pretty regularly with a good size but I dont know how long that will last.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Buff Orps lay good sized eggs, but mine were never very consistenet. But they have a wonderful personality.

I also heard good things about the Brahmas.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The bantam cochins are fairly dependable layers and have the very best personality of all the bantams I have ever owned. I can post a pic of eggs shortly [​IMG] Just hang in there a minute and I'll be right back.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG]

Here are two bantam cochin eggs between two BLRW eggs from standard hens. As you can see they are a respectable size for bantam eggs [​IMG] Hope this helps!

7. ashylove

ashylove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    thank you! i had seen that other thread before, but since it had to do with the actual laying, it wasnt a big concern yet.. lol. the pic is amazing, i kinda expected bantam eggs to be alot smaller than standard eggs. they defintly look bigge than i thought! how are rir bantams with kids? i would definitly be raising them from chicks, eggs if i can, and have 2 little ones... i know to be careful with the kids and chicks, at least for the safty of the chick, but how is the temprament?

btw pumpkinpup... i love the towel! lol... what are the standard eggs? im not familiar with the abbrieviations of standards.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    BLRW blue laced red wyandotte

Maybe somebody that has RIRs can pipe in on their temperment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by