Best Bantam Heritage Breed for Meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NightHeronFarm, Jul 6, 2010.

1. NightHeronFarm

NightHeronFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Ridgefield, WA
    Hi All, Due to space restrictions and flock dynamics I need to stick with bantam breeds. I was wondering what you have found to be the best producing, most flavorful, bantam, heritage meat bird to be?

Thanks!!!

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Have you considered bantam cross-breeds? Bantam dark Cornish roo over bantam Brahma hens, or other breed? The reason I ask is that usually if you're using heritage breeds, a cross of 2 breeds will yield a faster growing bird than a purebred. The 2 I mentioned both have good body shape, and I've tried crosses of the full sized versions with good results, so the bantams, though smaller, I would think would have a similar body configuration. The Cornish gives that nice breast, the Brahmas have meaty legs, and are also broad, meaty birds.

Standard Cornish roo is a good choice for the terminal sire for a meat cross, I haven't done a lot with this yet, but from what I've read of other folks experiments, Cornish roo over pretty much any other heavy breed hen, will give you a pretty good meat bird.

There was a member raising bantams for meat, who was pleased with what he or she had, but I don't remember who that was, or what variety/varieties of bantams were being used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by