Best Bantams for kids

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JackieinYorktown, Jan 22, 2010.

1. JackieinYorktown

JackieinYorktown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    We have a nice flock and are planning our spring order... We would like to add some Bantams for our 11 year old.
    We are in NY so it gets cold. What would you suggest?
    Should they be clean legged?

Jackie

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    cochins hands down, serama for a clean leg, silkie is a great one too

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Cochins and Silkies.
    It depends if you want to show, or are just home-ee's. Mud and poop can get stuck in their feathers, so cleaning should not be a, "I don't want to touch poop" etc.....
    What are you looking for in a breed?
    What breeds do you have?

4. JackieinYorktown

JackieinYorktown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    I have standard size birds- Buff Orpingtons, Astrolops, Wyandottes, and few EE. It is a gentle flock (even my one rooster is easy going).

I am looking for pets, not to show... I will say, that I am not looking for a bird that requires maintenance. My birds have a a good, totally safe coop and enclosed run, but free range most of the time. So far so good with that.

Thank you !

Jackie

5. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    [​IMG]

old english game bantams are sturdy, fearless little birds. I've seen them in the hands of children at the state fair, and they were calm and contented. Seramas are real kids birds, too. Just enough to make a handful of fluff for a kid.

But do you mind me asking, is it your child that wants the bantams? Because you're right your current large fowl are some gentle birds, and they make great kids' pets, too.

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My vote is for bantam Cochins or d'Uccles. My bantam Cochins are calm, little balls of feathers, that don't mind being held or snuggled. My d'Uccles are chatty and curious, love to be around people. Silkies are really sweet, but not really the best for free ranging.

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Were in NY are you? I have several cochins and other banties for sale [​IMG] I'm going upstate next week...

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Plymouth Rock or Wyandotte Bantams! NIce size egg & friendly too! Beautiful pint sized chickens and so many varieties.

9. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Cochins, Silkies, Belgian D'Uccles are good choices. If you live where it's cold, than feather legged would be better. But cleaned legged bantams are beautiful and if you choose cleaned legged, you might want to try Leghorns or RIR.

10. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    My DD is 11 and we've always loved Seramas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by