Best Bantams

swaylands

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
Kent uk
Hi
I'm looking to start keeping chickens next spring and would appreciate some advice on the best Bantams to keep. I need fairly quiet birds ideally that are great with children and are good layers( if such a bird exists ! ).
Also would love to be pointed in the right direction for reputable breeders and poultry keeping hardware suppliers in the North Kent (uk) area.
Bit nervous, my first post.
Many thanks
Andy:rolleyes:

first off, Welcome! from my experience Buff Orpingtons are like the golden retrievers of chickens there usually very easy going (Bantam and all) as well as Barred rocks ( good laying too) :)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi
If you drop by this thread for the UK there could be members in your area that could help you. Orpingtons are good docile birds that would be great for children. Also silkies are great for children but are often known for going broody.
Don't be nervous BYC is a great place for learning and everyone very friendly and here to help :frow

Hi
Thanks for the welcome and advice. Looks like you've got your hands full with that menagerie. And I'm a bit nervous of keeping three Bantams !!
I'll let you know how I get on.
Andy

Hi
Buff Orpingtons have been recommended to me before, I will have to look up Barred Rocks.
Thank you for your help
Andy

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am a huge fan of the Orpington breeeds...Buff Orps and Black Australorps. Very friendly, docile and great layers as well. Very hardy over all too. My Aussies are huge on lap sitting. I just can't sit anywhere without a bird on my lap!!

Definitely stop by the UK thread too so you can chat with your chicken neighbors. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome. Silkies are usually children's favorites but, not the best layers. Cochins can be had in bantam size also - a lot of breeds have bantam counterparts.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Australorp or Orpington bantams are probably the best bantams to meet your criteria. They are calm and gentle (my chilren, and now my granddaughter made lap pets of them), and good layers (the Australorps are particularly excellent layers). Silkies and Cochin bantams are also exceptionally friendly, calm and gentle, but do not lay nearly as well as Australorp and Orpington bantams. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever bantam breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom