Best bator for the money.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kryptoniteqhs, Apr 20, 2011.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Ok, I know this has been asked 975435543355 times but, Im looking to spend under about $200. What has the best hatch rate? I was going to go with the Hovabator with the forced air. Is there something better I should check out?

2. novaman

novaman Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    I don't know if it is the best but I sure like my 1588. I don't have to worry a lick about temperature as it does that automatically. The only thing I have to play with is humidity. The downside is that it is a styrofoam incubator so durability can be an issue.

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Brinsea Octagon 20 - if you also by the automatic turner it'll be around $200 with S&H. IMHO, the most user friendly, idiot proof, good results little incubator out there. Of course, I'm biased because that's the one I use. [​IMG] I'm sure there are others that are good as well, but I've had great success with the Brinsea - stable temps and humidity, easy to use and clean. Happy hatching![​IMG]

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Gensis 1588. I've had mine for years. Works great and easy to use and clean. Around 100 dollars.

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:doesnt it only hold like 7 eggs?

6. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    sounds like the genesis 1588 may be the way to go. i have the turner from my lg....will it work in the 1588?

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Personally, I will never buy another styrofoam bator again. If they get a little messy, the stink is in there for forever! I have tried cleaner and bleach and it still stinks to high heavens when I run it. I am going to make one for myself this spring and use styrofoam insulation but with something else to line it that is easy to clean, like high density polyethalene. My husband has a plastic welder that we can seal all the corners and cracks and I think that will be easy to spray and clean, then to disinfect. I am stripping the hardware from the Hovabator I have and using them in the one I build.

I have a Brower too, but the turner broke this spring between my first and second batch. It still works okay, but I would prefer to just hatch in that when possible.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:It should work in the 1588 ~ my 1588 is slightly larger than my LG.

I have done 4 hatches in my 1588 and like it. If you have a turner you can pretty much set it and let it go, just keeping a check on the humidity. I have not had any problems with odors in either my 1588 or LG yet.

I bought mine last spring at Cutler Supply for $170. with the turner (including shipping) without the turner it is $123.40 plus shipping.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  9. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

10. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Quote:doesnt it only hold like 7 eggs?

No, it can hold 24 LF eggs and about 35 bantam eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by