best bator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewChickenMom, May 23, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i'm looking for bators on ebay and then eventually some hatching eggs from ebay. my chickies are only 3.5 weeks old so no eggs to hatch for a while...

anyway, looking for the best bator for the least amount of money. i also have seen some with egg turners and some without. whats the deal with turners? are they worth the extra $45? i found a bator w/ turner for $99 and free shipping, good deal?

i'm looking to you experts for some help for a newbie!!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The bator you found for $100...depends on what bator it is. If its a still air, pass on that idea. They are scrap in my opinion.

Best bator for cheap - Hovabator with electronic thermostat - model 1588 Genesis. I also like the 1583 model just as much.

Yes, get the auto turner. I love mine and it allows you to keep consistent temps and less fuss when incubating. Eggs need to be turned several times a day..if you don't have time for that, this is the perfect solution.

Edited to add - be prepared to purchase a good digital thermometer/hygrometer as well. It is a worthwhile investment for good hatches. The ones that come with the bators are usually off by several degrees, as many of us learned the hard way. Pay up front and you'll appreciate it over the long run. [​IMG]

Jody

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am a firm believer in the Hovabator 1588 made by GQF. It has a preset thermostat and you don't have to constantly mess with it and worry about temp spikes.

Hand turning looses its novelty rather quick. I do suggest if you can afford the extra to get a turner .

With the 1588 and a turner you simply plug it in, let it come up to temp (I run mine several days prior to setting eggs) add eggs and water for humidity. Then all you have to do is look in the window and wait for day 18 to come so you can stop turning and wait for chicks to start pipping their shells. [​IMG]

4. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    here are my choices:

GQF 1602n Hova-Bator Incubator & 1611 Turner

GENESIS INCUBATOR 1588 & AUTO EGG TURNER 1610-All Eggs

or

Brower TopHatch Autoturn Incubator - FREE S&H

best one?

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    turner is a must but can be purchased later as the others said. Mine is still air and I'm getting hatches over 98% every hatch so certainly not so shabby for still air. Also, if you are hatching duck eggs you are not suppose to use forced air. I think it's a good deal I paid about 200 for mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by