Best battery for an automatic chicken coop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rike, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Rike

Rike New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Bought a great automatic chicken coop door and it works great when it is plugged in. Our goal though is to have it hooked up to a battery and solar. Where I bought the item the lady mentioned a 12V car battery? Really? Seems big, we only have a small self standing coop, wouldn't even know where to put it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

2. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Couple of options, you can go to home depot. Look in the lighting section (not the light bulb section). There is a spot where they have emergency lighting. There will be some 6v and 12v gell cell batteries there. Option #2, go to a sporting goods store such as Academy etc. They will sell 6v and 12v gel cell batteries and solar panels for deer feeders.

The gel batteries are small (at least compared to car batteries) and are perfect for a small solar panel. You can also get small solar panels at harbor freight.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I use Odyssey battries http://www.odysseybattery.com/ in my motorcycles and I'm here to tell you they are the roughest, toughest, longest lasting battery I have ever used. Also the most expensive.
    The 12 volts come as small as 5x4x4.

4. Rike

Rike New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Thank you very much! Home Depot it is!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by