best bedding for brooder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 22, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    from when they hatched i have had my ducks on bedsheets in the brooder which they love, but they didnt absorb much water so the other day i changed them onto shavings, since then they have been eating them a lot and one of the ducks has been walking kinda funny which only started when i changed the bedding, is it better for the ducks to be on shavings or bedsheets? because the bedsheets dont absorb the poo/wee as good as the shavings but the bedsheets are a lot softer on their feet! i dont know what to do! i did try putting a sheet over the shavings but they keep pecking at it and lifting it up to get at the shavings! what would you do?

shavings or sheets???

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I use paper towels for the first two weeks, then switch to pine shavings after that.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If they are eating the shavings, remove them. I had a chick die from eating shavings. You could try straw or hay..maybe...

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I bought a bunch of cheap towels. On one end of the brooder I used the shelf liner (where I had the food and water) and under the heat lamp I had towels which I changed out often. I would rinse them and throw them straight into the washer.

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    thats what i do with the sheets (rinse them then throw them in the washer) anyway im deffo changing back to sheets tomorrow, they are much cosier for the ducks, a little harder for me to clean but meh

what i do is wipe any poo off the sheets with toilet roll everytime i see it, so they are never left woth poo in the brooder, but i only change the sheets once a day (in a morning) is that ok? i did try twice a day for a few days but it was pointless because i would get it all lovely and clean and within 5 mins it would be a mess again

6. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    As someone advised here, I will be using outdoor carpet (no results yet, ducks arriving this coming Tuesday). You can rinse off the carpet and dry it in the sun. We'll see how this works.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:You have sun this time of year... lucky!

8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    might sound dumb but what is outdoor carpet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by