best bedding for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zach, Mar 4, 2008.

1. zach

zach New Egg

Mar 1, 2008
    whats the best bedding for chicks? im geting my order next tuesday and have every thing but that ready.

thanks

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Pine shavings are the most common. BUT, you want something like paper towels or rubber shelf liner over it for the first few days. It gives chicks time to figure out what food is and not eat the shavings, which can cause problems.

3. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I like corn cob bedding. You don't have any dangers of them eating it, its absorbant and easy to work with. I use a kitty little scoop to scoop out dirty spots each day and add a handfull here and there. Its really good stuff. You can find it at TSC.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use either the rubber shelf lining or puppy pads.

5. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

straw works too if you have it available.

6. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I use alfalfa pellets since I already feed them to the other animals around here. I found they make great bedding for chicks. They are absorbant, give good footing, and you never have to worry if they eat any.

Donna

7. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I have been using newspaper for my week old chicks. I understand that brand new chicks can slip on newspaper, but is there any reason not to use it if they are older? They seem to do just great on it so I wonder if there is a reason I need to switch. It is so convenient and easy for me to change out when dirty.

8. zach

zach New Egg

Mar 1, 2008
    with corn cob or straw can i use it from day one? im kinda leaning to corn cob if my tsc has any

thanks my order is comeing tuesday so i have a little time but not much

9. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have always used wood shavings until this last time.I decided to get some sand and put in a cardboard box and it worked wonderfully.It was natural for the chicks to walk and they loved it.If they ingest some it doesn't hurt them cause it can be used as grit.After a couple of weeks I put them in the brooder with pine straw and they loved bedding down in it.I will probably use this method from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by