Best Bedding for Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mtcougar832, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mtcougar832

mtcougar832 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Northwest Montana
    Hi again!

I have 5 indian runners (should be ~1 wk old Wed.) and I'm trying to find a good bedding. I currently have them on newspaper (just laid out not shredded) and one was eating it. Should I try shavings? I just thought I'd roll up the paper and toss it - I'd hate for my .... darling ... 2 1/2 yo to throw the shavings onto the floor.

Thanks all!

Amy

2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I talked to pc today... [​IMG] ...only cuz i keep mentioning him... and he says... pine shavings bad...they'll eat it and die...use straw.

I have mine on newspaper right now as well.

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I find that dasie mats work great! Cut them to fit the bottom of the brooder then place a towel on one end and water and food on the other real easy to clean works wonderful

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use puppy pee pads in the bottoms of my brooders. Helps cut down on the wet mess a little bit.

5. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    I keep them on puppy training pads for the first day or so, then move them to shavings. That way they learn to eat feed before moving onto the shavings, and the pads give them decent traction so I avoid spraddle-leg. To date, I've had no problems with them eating shavings.

Webfoot

6. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I used straw once....

Big mess

nuff' said [​IMG]

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Oh that's it...PC's in trouble. [​IMG]

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    LMAO @ Just rolling it up and throwing it away!

I've done 1/2 dz different watering tricks trying to keep it dry in there. No good... have to scoop and wash with every bedding change (every 2 days) and a scoop with some fresh on top in between days. I'm lucky I can do that... it used to be twice a day everyday when I had 2 in the brooder! [​IMG]

I use pine shavings.... but not the tiny bits so she won't eat it. Our local farm supply store sells shavings in 3 different sizes.... Fine, Medium and large. Medium is perfect for the coop and the brooder.

You're in for a mess! [​IMG]

9. mtcougar832

mtcougar832 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Northwest Montana
    I never thought about just adding shavings - you really only have to clean every other day? I don't mind the mess - cleaning up after the ducks is nothing compared to my kids!

Quote:I wasn't able to figure out what this is?

10. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    They are the green plastic grass mats for wiping your feet on
    You just hose it off with a little simple green and reuse! Super easy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by