Best Bedding for Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by latb611, Mar 3, 2014.

1. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    I have two ducklings about 2 weeks old no feathers yet and they have about tripled in size since we got them. At the time we also got 6 chicks and they have all been in together but I am thinking about separating them soon. The ducks seem to get hotter faster and of course they are making a mess with the water. So now I am looking for some ideas of how to handle the situation. If I separate them from the chicks then what is the best bedding to deal with the water issues? Thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I suggest a watering station - something that will hold the splash.

Something like this, perhaps.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

For bedding I used old towels for two reasons. I was allergic to shavings, and the ducklings ate them.

Wifezilla used to put that no-skid shelf liner material over sawdust pellets, if I recall correctly. The shelf liner could be lifted, shaken, and washed off and replaced. And it would keep ducklings from eating the pellets.

(fixed the link)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    Thanks for the ideas. The link you put in led me to a thread about a duck with a crooked neck.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by