Best bedding for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have been using pine shavings in the yard for my Muscovies & they seem to work okay but get mucky quick.

is here something that'll work better?

What do you use?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I use hay because my ducks love to eat it and it doesn't get messed up easily and i like the smell of hay

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I use hay as well. My mom asked me if I could use pine straw for bedding.... but i dont know if it would be too pokey, or the oils and smells would be bad or what.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I had to use straw once but it got caked with poo really fast & it doesnt compost well.... filled a mud hole in the pig pen though [​IMG]

5. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I like pine shavings better than straw, but haven't tried hay.

6. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I put down wood shavings and then put straw on top. Heck I've also thrown in the throw from the sofa and a couple of blankets with this bad weather!!!

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I like pine shavings best.

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I use pine shavings. I have used hay and straw in the past when I couldn't get shavings, but they don't absorb the mess as well and the floor of the coop always gets wet. Sometimes in the winter straw or hay is nice because everything freezes and it lifts out of the coop in one big clump, which makes cleanup a bit easier.

9. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Popular Shavings here... they obsorb like no other and a 3.5 cubic feet bag expands to 7 cubic feet... very fine well cusioned shaving and they do the job!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i use straw it doesnt have a long "life" but its a better insulator and i feel better when they eat straw then pine shavings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by