Best Beginner Breeds for Northeast Ohio

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmmZ95, Jun 20, 2019.

1. EmmZ95

EmmZ95 Hatching

Jun 15, 2019
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm in dire need of some assistance. I live in northeast ohio which I'm sure many of you are aware can go through all 4 seasons in one day. My goal right now are egg layers, but I would like them to be dual meat and layers. My coop right now is a 6ftx2.5ft with 4 boxes and they will have a run as well. I unfortunately can't let them go free range due to my neighbors. Im hoping to start with 8-10 chicks. Any advice would be very appropriated!

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Your coop is only big enough for a max of 3 full grown chickens. There is no way you can fit 8-10 in there.

featheredplanets likes this.
  3. EmmZ95

EmmZ95 Hatching

Jun 15, 2019
    Northeast Ohio
    I was told by the guy I got my coop from it can fit up to 12. It has 2 perches and a landing separate from the floor. The boxes are also 2.5ft wide and I was told that hens nest together.

4. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Then that guy needs a reality check. Cramming 12 chickens into a 15sqft coop is just asking for trouble. Bullying, disease, stress (which leads to a great number of issues)...

They need at least 3-4sqft per bird in the coop. 10sqft per in the run. 1ft of roost space per bird. And at least 1 nest box to every three hens.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    2x

:welcome Glad having you join us. You'll find this site very informative with all the experience for Members around the World ;)

It is highly recommended the have 4sq ft per chicken in a coop and 10sq ft per in the run. Prevents alot of heartache. Your planned coop is not sufficient for the amount your desire. I would strongly advise you to research in depth the needed space in a coop/run for chickens, have it in place PRIOR to your getting any chicks. They do grow faster than you'd be able to get a coop.

It's good that you're researching breeds prior to jumping into getting any. You preferring dual purpose, I would recommend Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Australorps and there are others but these are my favorites. Others will have their favorites.

Assuming your chickens will be used for eggs & meat, have you researched culling? I thought I could but after raising, decided not for me :rolleyes:

featheredplanets likes this.
  6. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    x2 on the breeds

Cyprus and ChickNanny13 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: