Best beginner goose for meat

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Saris, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    My husband and I are thinking of raising a goose for Thanksgiving dinner next year, what kind would you recommend for an urban environment, and when should I get it for it to be large and tender?

2. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Embden are a very big meaty breed. I've never killed or eaten my geese yet but I think if I was to pick a breed to raise for food it would be them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Are they loud? Are they nice? I have neighbors who don't mind my roo, but a honking goose might bother them, I also have 4 kids between 2 and 8 and don't want them to be chased by a mean goose.

Thank you for your thoughts.

4. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN

They are nice yes, if raised and trained correctly!! Just handle them a lot when they're young, talk to them, name them.

Kids should NEVER be left alone with geese. They are too young to be dominant over a gander especially. NO goose is 100% trustworthy around children. The nicest breed (IMO) is American Buff, but they are a medium size and may not be as desirable as a large breed

2 people like this.
  5. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane

How do Embden do with being penned then? I have 12 chickens that somewhat free range, but I wouldn't have a lot of room to dedicate to a goose, maybe 10x10 square feet for a run, plus a coop area.

6. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    You would have to be ready for a goose to turn it to mud. They eat grass and will trample their run

1 person likes this.
  7. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    In my opinion, geese should not be raised in an urban environment. They are extremely noisy and need a lot of space. They can fly over fences and get lost. Also they are unhappy alone and should be raised in groups. Alone, geese become stressed and sick. Chickens won't help, they need to be with their own kind. If anything, a goose might even kill chickens if kept in a small space with them. Meat breeds need deep swimming water, because their legs cannot support their body weights all day. You would have to purchase a deep pool and fill it with water each day.

I think you should raise something else for meat, something that is quiet and can live in a small space.

8. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN

I COMPLETELY disagree. I live in a subdivision and my neighbors are very close to me. I have LOTS of geese that roam our fenced in yard and the pen leading into the backyard. They are very happy. You can raise geese anywhere, they are very adaptable. And if you talk to your neighbors the noise should be fine, or get a quieter breed.

And OP can buy more than one goose, she can buy two.

9. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    They also do not "need their own kind", they just need whatever species they imprint on. If a goose imprints on chickens at two days old he will be very happy with chickens.

10. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Thank you both for your input. I definitely don't have space for a large pool, maybe a kiddie pool, we may try ducks instead, since we would be able to have more than one, or a smaller type of goose. I really don't want to add to the noise since our neighbors are being so nice about tolerating our rooster. Though he is a quiet guy who rarely crows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by